Thursday 25 May 2017

Share to Learn: Week 4 of Digital Immersion Intensive.

It has been a very busy day today! Dorothy began the day by highlighting how we Share to Learn. This is particularly apparent in blog posts that can be visited, commented on and revisited years later. Learning should be visible, rewindable and able to be revisited months, even years, later.

Feedback was another area of interest today. Comments on blogs can be valuable learning tools, particularly when conversations back and forth are entered into. We looked at The 4 Fundamentals of Feedback to students as well as the Manaiakalani “Positive, Thoughtful, Helpful’ tools to help us leave useful and relevant comments on our students' and peers' blogs.

I really enjoyed getting on the Chromebooks and I-pads today, to get a taste of what life is like for our students. By completing the 'Digital Dig' I learned a lot of new shortcuts and skills to speed up my work on a Chromebook and MacBook for that matter. (I'm a little embarrassed to admit I didn't know about the two-fingers to right-click and scroll on the touchpad!)


I shared a lesson I created in Explain Everything to use with my class on their i-pads and enjoyed seeing my fellow teachers have a play and complete it. Ben and Trish shared some of theirs as well, and we were lucky enough to have one of our Col teachers, Khismira Lal visit to share her expertise with us. I learned about lassoing images and Ben taught me how to create simple animations. I liked how Khismira makes a template for images that the children can copy into their Explain Everythings when appropriate. I can see that they would enjoy the Spiderman and Queen Elsa images more than the few shapes available in the app.

Here is me using Screencastify for the first time to comment on Trish's blog.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog post Charlette, I also thought it was very clever how Kishmira creates a template of pictures which her students can copy. Maybe next time for your screencast you could find a place with less wind so the audio is clearer :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your iPad expertise with the group today Charlotte. It opened people's eyes to see how much thought and effort goes into personalising learning experiences for our very young learners. You did great as a first time Chromebook user and managed Screencastify like a pro. Now that you know the two finger tricks on your MacBook, you should investigate the System preferences for tracker pad and keyboard as you can make that tracker pad do all kinds of things to make your workflow smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Charlotte. I also look forward to seeing how I'm going to get the 'create' part of learning evident in my class. Will definitely find time to chat with you, cos no doubt you've got some great ideas! Love the fact that we're all learning things that are like - 'Why didn't I know that?!' Looking forward to session 5 next week.

    ReplyDelete